Bookmark and Share

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

DIECI FORMAGGI















Yesterday I worked on making quattro formaggi again and tweaked the recipe again. I used whipping cream instead of half and half. As the total of the types of cheeses used was ten, this would be Dieci (which means 10 in Italian) Formaggi. This time I added another 1/4 tsp. of nutmeg for a total of 1/2 tsp., a 1/2 tsp of seasoned salt and 1/4 tsp of black pepper I still used the 8 oz pkg of Italian blend cheese (that has 6 different cheeses) but also added 1 cup of shredded Fiesta blend, which is Monterrey Jack, Cheddar, Queso Quesadilla and Asadero cheese). The mixture came out a little too thick to put on the pasta, so I added two tablespoons of margarine (my favorite kind, The "I Can't Believe It Is Not Butter" Mediterranean blend). This was a mistake because it then became way too soupy. 


 I didn't try to doctor it anymore at this point, just poured it on the cooked pasta and stirred it up.The end result was it was more rich and a little more flavorful than the last attempt and tasted ok, but it was not stunning, and was also too fattening, cost at least $3 more and with too much competition between all of the cheeses to get tones of any one of them when eating.

I have decided I am going to give up trying to duplicate the one from the restaurant and use this as a base to just come up with something on my own that will not be as good, but more affordable and easier to make.






Next time I am going to try using a white sauce as a base, just adding the Italian Blend cheeses to that along with 1/2 tsp of nutmeg, 1/4 tsp of seasoned salt, 1/4 black pepper, 1 tsp Italian Seasoning and maybe 1 tsp of dill.







No comments:

Post a Comment