Bookmark and Share

Thursday, July 30, 2009

FAIRY HOUSE

A great way to upcycle an old laundry bottle into something creative. This project is based on the fairy houses made over at Filth Wizardry. http://filthwizardry.blogspot.com/2009/07/fairy-houses-and-fairy-wings-for-your.html While a child could decorate it after it is cut out, I would not recommend allowing children to do any of the cutting and if it was to be used in play, sanding down the edges or covering with duct tape. I am using mine as an outdoor decoration under my eaves outside of the garage as it is protected by the elements by the eaves and nearby bushes (and nothing I have ever planted there has grown). Items used:
  • Liquid Laundry detergent bottle
  • X-Acto knife and/or craft scissors
  • Markers
  • Clear Acrylic spray (optional)

Throughly wash and rinse the laundry bottle, remove any labels that you can, then cut a hole in the front. I tried to follow the curves of the bottom.

On the back and side, draw any type of window that you would like.

Use the X-acto knife to cut out the windows.

I made arched windows and a paned one in the back, but you could make them any way you would like.

Decorate the bottle however you would like. I used black market to outline the door and windows.

I also drew squiggles on the bottle in green to represent vines the drew on small "V" shapes to represent leaves.

It is hard to see on the bottle itself, but you can see on the lid that I colored in flowers with a hot pink marker just above the leaves that I had drawn in. I then sprayed the bottle with clear acrylic spray to seal it, but this would be optional. If you use it, go easy on the spray because if you get too much the marker will start to run and bleed.

Your fairy house is now ready for occupancy. I put a small rabbit that I got a thrift store.

No comments:

Post a Comment