Bookmark and Share

Saturday, January 22, 2011

1900-1910 Challenge - Chemise

This is part of  "Sew Through The Decades" challenge here and this week is 1900-1910.

For this challenge I had originally was going to make a near ankle length 8 gores skirt with scallops at the edge and a paper bag waist, but due to health problems this week I ran out of time and needed to go with something a little simpler.

I went in search of new inspirations and found one at Utah Education Network that had a listing of 1900-1910 Fashions.

It described clothing of the period "formal and uncomfortable"  and listed several items as an example - as I wanted to go for something that was comfortable I decided to go with a chemise (pictured left), but more my interpretation and modernized one.




A chemise was a loose fitting undergarment worn over a corset but underneath clothing made out of white linen with embroidery.  I plan on wearing it as a nightshirt.

For this challenge, I cut the sleeves and collar of an oversized short sleeved man's shirt, then cut a deeper rounded neckline in the front.  I tore one of the sleeves lenghtwise in to 1 1/2 inch strips and sewed the together then gathered 1/2 inch from the edge, then stitched the strip around the neckline and the pocket using a decorative embroidery stitch.

The "flower" on the side opposite of the pocket is the same concept except the sewn together at the edges, pinned down to the shirt in the shape of a flower and stitched over the gathering with the same decorative embroidery stitch.   I also took it in slightly below the lower armhole on each side as the armhole opening was too wide.


I will probably write a more detailed tutorial and post at Cut Out And Keep later because I pretty much made it up as I went along, but I wanted to get this posted tonight.

 


For more info on the challenge, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment