Bookmark and Share

Friday, June 1, 2012

Lemon Garlic Tilapia

My son has been on a seafood kick and as I have had an aversion to it, I went in search of recipes for Tilapia, as he had it elsewhere and loves it.

I was not familiar with it, so I looked it up on Wikipedia and it indicated they are low in mercury, saturated fat, calories, carbohydrates and sodium and they are good protein source.

Photo:  Wikimedia



As I had never cooked them before, I went in search of a simple recipe and found this one by user Eireann at Allrecipes and using suggestions by other users, adapted it and my son loved it (he made his into a sandwich on white bread) so I thought I would share it.

Per Allrecipes
the calories per serving prepared this way would be 142 , the total Fat: 4.4g and the Cholesterol 49mg

Adapted recipe:
  • 4 tilapia fillets
  • Non-Stick Coating Spray
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon butter, melted
  • 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
  • Few dashes of pepper to taste 
  • Paper towels   
  • Plastic gloves (optional)
 
 
Spray a baking dish with non-stick coating spray (I used a 9x9 inch pan, but it depends on the size of the fish).

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.












Saute the lemon juice, butter, minced garlic, parsley and a few dashes of pepper in a skillet on medium low heat for 4-5 minutes.










Rinse off cleaned fish and pat dry with paper towels.  This was a major gross out moment for me and suggest using plastic gloves if this bothers you.















Arrange the fish in the baking dish and pour over the sauteed mixture.








I baked mine for 15 minutes, then turned the fish over and baked for another 30 minutes.  The fish should be white and flake when you pull on it with a fork when done.

Might not be a good idea to watch man eating fish movies shortly before or thereafter.

No comments:

Post a Comment