Bookmark and Share

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Yellow Dress for 6-12 month old

I made this dress entirely out of scraps using a free pattern and instructions from My Measuring Tape
and will fit an infant size 6-12 months.

To add the seam allowance to the pattern I used a popsicle stick for the width on paper, cut a little beyond the line and used a glue stick to glue to the pattern

I varied from the instructions in that I used double fold bias tape to finish the neck and arm holes and instead of using two different fabrics for the panels, I used four and for the bottom I used the hem cut off from a skirt that was too long.   Instead of using a button I sew on a strip of velcro. 

        Free Pattern & Instructions here

Items used:
  • Scraps from 6 other projects/alterations (if buying new under 1/2 yard for the panels and less for bodice and the bottom.
  • Printer and paper
  • Scissors
  • Glue Stick
  • Popsicle Stick (used to measure seam allowance)
  • Sewing machine and matching thread
  • Straight pins
  • Iron
  • Velcro
I also didn't use skirt panel A where it said to cut 8 pieces as I didn't find where it was needed anywhere; perhaps is a variation if you wanted to add below the bodice but before the skirt panels.

This is for Day 18 of 30 Day of Creativity with the theme being "Yellow" and is for donation to Dress A Girl Around The World, a non-profit organization that collects dresses and distributes them to girls around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment